St Peter on the Wall, Bradwell on Sea, Essex, 650 AD.
This may not look to be much of a building but appearances are deceptive. Around 650 AD, Saxons , directed by Bishop Cedd,used materials from a Roman fort to build this, the oldest church building in England. From the 14th century the building was used as a farmer's barn until restoration in 1920. The walls, two feet thick, may be sprayed by the sea at high tide.
Last Modified: 2/7/05